Semi-permanent hair dye, sometimes called rinse or hair gloss, is used to deposit color only.
Unlike permanent hair dye, color is deposited without raising the cuticle.
Due to this factor, there are several key things to keep in mind:
- Cannot lighten hair color
- Usually no ammonia, no peroxide
- Safe to use immediately after relaxer
- Results in highly conditioned, shiny hair
- Usually lasts 4-12 shampoos
- Color results will depend on your current hair level. In particular, lighter colors require pre-lightened hair. For example, if you attempt to dye your hair pastel pink when your hair is dark brown, you will see no results.